LEARN the basics
Our quick guide to LGBTQ asylum seekers in the U.S. Learn the basics of this life-or-death issue in five minutes or less. (Click image to enlarge.)
why get involved
- Our cause suffers from a severe lack of awareness & lack of funding.
- Even though services for asylees (those who have already received asylum) do exist – such as legal assistance and support groups – there remains a lack of resources for people still in the process of seeking asylum.
- Every year, thousands of LGBTQ people coming from one of the 73 countries where it is still illegal to be gay, seek asylum in the U.S. – yet upon their arrival in the U.S., many LGBTQ asylum seekers continue to lack the information necessary to meet their most fundamental human needs.
- The AsylumConnect catalog aims to fills this gap by providing vital access to information. This access to information empowers LGBTQ asylum seekers to safely integrate in the U.S.
Click on the plus symbols to learn more about our cause.
Recommended sites and articles +
- The Asylumist (a blog about political asylum in the U.S.)
- "Seeking home: The lives of gay and transgender asylum seekers of the Middle East" (The Washington Post)
- "Ukrainian LGBT Leader, Taras Karasiichuk, Seeks U.S. Asylum" (The Daily Beast)
- Political Asylum USA
- "Stronger Together: Best Practice Guide Supporting LGBT Asylum Seekers in the United States" (Released October 2015 by LGBT Freedom & Asylum Network, The National LGBTQ Task Force and Human Rights Campaign Foundation)
- Center for American Progress Report (Released June 2015)
- "This Is What Happens In Detention Centres If You're Lesbian or Gay" (BuzzfeedNews)
- Human Rights Campaign Blog - International
- Huffington Post's Blog about Pussy Riot, a Russian feminist punk rock protest group and fierce advocates for global LGBT rights based in Moscow
- "Russian Applications For U.S. Asylum Surge Again in 2016" (Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty)
Recommended short videos +
- Ben Steel, “Hunted: The War Against Gay in Russia.” HBO Documentary.
- Immigration Equality, “LGBT Asylum: Three Stories.” YouTube: October 2013.
- LGBT-FAN, “LGBT-FAN: Dennis on Being Gay in Nigeria and Seeking Asylum in the U.S.” YouTube: May 2014.
- “Nigerian Lesbian Asylum Seeker Says She Faces Death Sentence If Deported” (UK). YouTube: April 2014.
- Pussy Riot, “I Can’t Breathe.”
- Pussy Riot is a Russian feminist punk rock protest group based in Moscow, fierce advocates for LGBTQ rights.
- About this video: “Pussy Riot's first song in English is dedicated to Eric Garner and the words he repeated eleven times before his death. This song is for Eric and for all those from Russia to America and around the globe who suffer from state terror – killed, choked, perished because of war and state sponsored violence of all kinds – for political prisoners and those on the streets fighting for change. We stand in solidarity.”
- Hillary Clinton, “Equal.” YouTube.
- Holly Daffurn, “React Poetry: For Russia With Love.” YouTube: June 2015.
- Bloomberg Business, U.S. Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage.
Recommended films +
- The Case Against 8 (2014) – HBO documentary.
- The Imitation Game (2014)
- To Be Takei (2014) – Documentary about George Takei (actor, activist, Internet sensation, inspiration).
- How to Survive a Plague (2012) – AIDS documentary.
- Stonewall Uprising (2010) – Documentary.
- Milk (2008)
- Brokeback Mountain (2005)