There is still so much to be done in the fight to ensure humane conditions for LGBTQ asylum seekers in the U.S. Your task is to compose a spirited petition and collect as many signatures as possible to further our cause. We encourage you to use an online platform for your petition such as iPetitions (a free service that allows you to collect signatures electronically).
You can address your petition to any of the following:
- Members of Congress
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security (for petitions targeting immigration detention)
- U.S. Department of Justice
- The President of the United States
Example petition topics include:
- Advocating for alternatives to immigration detention for LGBTQ asylum seekers.
- Eliminating the one-year filing deadline for LGBTQ asylum seekers (this policy is particularly harmful for asylum seekers lacking legal information).
Be sure to actively share the link to your online petition on your chapter's Facebook page and the personal pages of members. And shoot us an email: we’d love to help share your petition!
What You'll Need:
- A clearly worded petition. (Let Marie (email@example.com) know if you need more information on a petition topic or would like help wording your petition.)
- Internet access.
- An advertising strategy to collect as many signatures as possible.