Join the AsylumConnect Staff!
- All positions are unpaid at this time.
- All positions are virtual/remote positions – we are looking for self-starters and commitment!
- Everyone is welcome to apply! Passionate students and LGBTQ asylum seekers/asylees are all highly encouraged to apply.
- Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Start as early as May 2016! Specific start date to be determined on a case-to-case basis. We look for a commitment of at least 1 academic year for staff positions (e.g. August 2016 - May 2017).
- See application for more details.
As a member of the AsylumConnect staff, you'll get in on the ground floor of a young initiative. You'll be able to truly make a difference in the lives of 300,000 LGBTQ asylum seekers, and your voice will matter in our organization. Together, we will shape the future and vision of AsylumConnect.
We're looking for individuals who are passionate about AsylumConnect's mission. Our staff has a deep understanding and appreciation for the potential impact of our organization, and a dedication to converting that potential into reality.
We're currently recruiting for:
- Director of Finance and Legal
- Director of Creative Content
- Director of Marketing and Publicity
- Director of Human Resources (HR)
Please scroll down for descriptions of the available staff openings. Apply today!
director of finance and legal
We are currently recruiting for someone who is passionate about finance, business development, and fundraising to take over as our Director of Finance and Legal. In this exciting multi-faceted position, you will prepare financial reports, actively contribute to AsylumConnect's financial growth, and oversee our budget. You will also play a pivotal role in our quest to become a 501(c)(3) registered nonprofit organization in the U.S.
We’re looking for a driven, reliable individual who is excited about attracting more resources to our cause and organization.
- Keep up-to-date on all 501(c)(3) nonprofit status paperwork and regulations.
- Oversee budget and cash flow; coordinate all audit activities.
- Serve as primary contact person for any outsourcing (e.g. accountant, lawyer) to help ensure comply with all filing regulations.
- Record a detailed budget of how we use our funds and create budgetary projections for additional funding needed to meet future organizational goals.
- Lead all fundraising efforts and work with other staff members/relevant associate(s) to execute tailored, smart fundraising campaigns.
- Monitor and track all donations (individual, corporate, crowdfunding, etc.).
- Recruit pro bono assistance (i.e. legal) as needed. We don't expect you to have all the answers, but we'll need you to actively search for people who do.
- Prepare financial reports to present to donors and potential donors/investors.
- Directly oversee and manage any assigned associate position(s) (e.g. Fundraising Manager, Donor Relations Manager, etc.)
- Contribute to the overall financial growth of AsylumConnect; work with other staff members (especially the Co-directors) and relevant associate(s) to identify all possible sources of revenue/funding.
- Interest/background in one or more of the following area(s): finance, accounting, business administration, fundraising, legal studies.
- Understanding of and ability to communicate our mission and vision.
- Ability to generate creative ideas for fundraising campaigns.
- Ability to prepare thorough financial reports and keep a detailed, itemized budget.
- Reliable, hard-working, and committed to the financial growth of AsylumConnect.
director of creative content
We’re currently seeking a Director of Creative Content to help with all aspects of design from creating informative, aesthetically appealing promotional materials to contributing photos to our website. We’re looking for a storyteller who is excited about shaping AsylumConnect’s visual content.
- Design graphics, slide decks, and other promotional materials (infographics, brochures, flyers, etc.) as needed.
- Contribute and edit photos to be used on website, promotional materials, and social media.
- Assist with writing/editing online copy and content for promotional materials.
- Ensure that all of AsylumConnect's creative and visual content is in line with our vision, goals, and voice.
- Directly oversee and manage any assigned associate positions (e.g. Assistant Graphic Designer if needed).
- Interest/background in one or more of the following area(s): art, design, illustration, photography.
- Experience in graphic design preferred.
- Bonus(es): skills in animation and/or filmmaking.
- Passion for our cause and vision for how to use visuals to tell our story.
Director of marketing and publicity
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about marketing and spreading the word about AsylumConnect. In this role, you will help to grow our name recognition and to develop a consistent brand narrative. Help us to raise awareness for our cause and organization!
- Help AsylumConnect establish a clear brand narrative across publications and online platforms.
- Lead the effort to brainstorm, create, and implement marketing campaigns to increase awareness for AsylumConnect and our cause.
- Help to increase AsylumConnect's web and social media presence.
- Assist with building partnerships between AsylumConnect and relevant service providers/organizations.
- Identify relevant media outlets and build significant relationships with them.
- Write compelling and succinct press releases as needed.
- Oversee and manage any assigned associate(s) (e.g. Social Media Manager, Social Media Assistant, Blogger, etc.)
- Interest/background in one or more of the following area(s): marketing, brand management, public relations, capacity building, social media.
- Innovative vision for possible marketing campaigns to increase awareness for our cause and organization.
- Creative, passionate, and reliable.
- Exemplary understanding of our mission, vision and cause.
DIRECTOR OF Human Resources (hr)
We’re searching for an outgoing leader who is excited about recruiting talent. The success of our organization relies on the quality of our team. In this essential role, you will lead the effort to recruit the best people possible to join the AsylumConnect team.
- Lead the effort to recruit top talent to join the AsylumConnect team.
- Participate in the selection, interviewing, and training of new team members.
- Brainstorm and execute ways to keep team members happy and productive: work to create and sustain a positive team environment.
- Recommend, evaluate, and participate in staff development for the initiative.
- Assist in disciplining staff; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing staff job contributions.
- Directly oversee and manage any assigned associate(s) (e.g. Team Coordinator, Volunteer Coordinator, etc.)
- Coordinate and conduct exit interviews to determine reasons behind leaving (as needed).
- Participate in special projects and seek additional responsibilities.
- Interest/background in one or more of the following area(s): HR management, performance management, recruitment, onboarding, employee relations, psychology, a business-related subject, leadership development.
- Bonus(es): experience using online recruitment tools/softwares and/or interviewing experience.
- Friendly, passionate, and determined to attract the best talent to AsylumConnect.